01 September 2011

Southwest coast adventure: day 3.

Today started with a delicious breakfast of eggs and toast - still a bit of a novelty after months of various Asian breakfasts! Then, off to explore some old houses around Albany. I manage to get into the Old Farm at Strawberry Hill, even though it's "closed for maintenance" at the moment, and I nearly wreck the car several times as I keep slowing down and leaning out to take pictures of interesting houses. The resemblance of many of these small, vernacular houses to those in Falmouth is becoming more and more uncanny as I see more of them...

I end up exploring downtown Albany on foot. As a small former whaling town, the economy has shifted significantly over the past few decades - mostly to tourism. It's funny - as soon as I open my mouth, almost everyone asks, laughing, "What are you doing here?" I guess I am, clearly, a long way from home.

After nosing around town for most of the day, it's time for another kangaroo safari. This time, success! We spot a mob of them hanging out in a field, and we're treated to all aspects of kangaroo behavior: eating, walking, playing, rolling around in the grass, hopping, and best of all, boxing! [Apparently, male kangaroos box for fun, to establish pecking order, etc - it's pretty funny to watch, though I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a kangaroo punch.]

Then, on to some beaches to spot for whales. No luck on the whales, but lots of beautiful scenery, and again, no one else around. Tomorrow we head back up the coast to Perth...land of the $11/hour wifi connection...

Old Farm at Strawberry Hill, c. late 19th c, Albany, Western Australia.

Albany, Western Australia, or Falmouth, Jamaica?!

Patrick Taylor Cottage, oldest house in WA [c. 1830s].

Mouchemore's Cottage, Albany, WA.

Reproduction of the Brig Amity, which brought the first load of convicts to Albany from the east coast in the 1830s.

ROOS! They're hopping, eating, playing, doing 'roo things. Outside Albany, WA.

'Roos!

Boxing 'roos! In the middle of the picture, the two males standing up and punching each other.

At Natural Bridge, outside Albany, WA.

Roo crossing! They were EVERYWHERE that night - just before I took this, three jumped across my path...

No comments:

Post a Comment