23 July 2011

Data collection, part II.

While I managed to collect a good amount of data at the gers [ambient temperature, surface temps, wind speeds, etc etc], I am, as usual, interested in alternate forms of data collection as well. Hence, the bus drawings, below. In my mind, these are just as honest a record of information as what can be gotten from a Kestral: each drawing records those bumps driven in that way on that day with those road conditions with my hand.

They also reflect my interest in what I think of as "systematic art" - work that creates an image using a set of parameters or rules, or "re-presentational art", which converts [and interprets] piles of data into images, re-presenting it. Both of these methods are, for me, ways to rework information [be it raw data or image] to discover [create?] synergies, connections, and, hopefully, a revelation or two. I have to give credit here to Lauren Hackney, too: her incredible work for the Pellicia fellowship in Rome [bus drawings!] was [and is] an inspiration.

At the very least, it's a way to pass the time on an 8 hour bus ride through the desert...

15 minutes on the road to Mandalgovi, Mongolia.

7 minutes on the road out of the Gobi, Mongolia.

Right hand, Left hand, 15 minutes on the road out of the Gobi, Mongolia.

No comments:

Post a Comment