14 June 2011

The Jamaica I Know, Part II.

Boats at the fishing village next to Clinton's cafe. The fish go directly from the ocean to these boats to the cook's pan to your plate. I had snapper and lionfish.

Aerodynamic egrets.

A Rasta food shop.

At the Hamden distillery, where they make a distinctively aromatic rum, that lives up to its name ["Rum Fire"]...The distillery is run by two brothers - no recipes are written down, no formulae, nothing - just traditions and methods passed down by word of mouth. The molasses on the floor of the distillery was at least 2" thick.

Tinsley house, out in the countryside of Trelawney Parish. The going is slow in these parts - huge potholes, goats, etc. Note the sugarcane growing in the fields in the foreground...

The town of Falmouth, from the Anglican church tower. This pic is from last year, so the cruise ship wharf is not completed yet.

2 comments:

  1. Good Morning Moe! I must admit that following you through this journey is extremely fascinating, more importantly educating. The photogs are extremely helpful in grasping the concepts that you speak of, and I can only imagine what the locals think...

    Lastly, why do you think some of the boats have motors and others don't? Choice? Cost? Because I would assume they are all fishing boats. Is it a "commercialized" boat versus a leisure boat? Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nate!
    Thanks for stopping by :) I haven't had internet for a while, so I'm just now getting back to you. I can't speak for every fisherman, but I know that when we went out with Peter [who is also a project manager and carpenter with FHR in Falmouth], he brought the motor with him on a cart, and then attached it to his boat, which was pulled up on shore. I guessed it was to prevent his motor from being stolen or messed with; he keeps it as his house. I don't remember ever seeing a boat without a motor out on the water, and I'm pretty sure 100% of the ones you see in this pic are for fishing, so perhaps others do this as well. Some fisherman don't bother with boats, though, and just spear fish using hand-made spear guns. I have a pic of me with one - I'll post it so you can see. Needless to say, when I went spearfishing, I didn't get anything...It's pretty difficult to manage without drowning!

    ReplyDelete